poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Commons Math dependency?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:41:12 GMT
Hi All

We now have two proposed patches that need commons math. Firstly the
POISSON function (bug #49538), and another (number I forget) which was for
fractions when formatting numbers.

The latest version of commons math is a 800kb jar file. This is, however,
larger than all the existing non-ooxml dependencies put together, and half
the size of the core POI jar. That said, it's only 20% of the size of the
minimal ooxml schemas jar file, and a third of the size of xmlbeans.

What do people think? Would it be ok to include this as a dependency?
Should we require it for these features, but let everything else work
without it (which could mean you run poi fine for ages, then suddenly one
day it blows up saying "hey, I need commons math now!")? Should we decline
the patches that need commons math, and do without those features?

Thoughts?

Nick