poi-dev mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: how to compare two excel file with apache poi
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 06:39:42 GMT

Sorry, I am not too sure what you are asking for here. Are you asking how to
discover how many rows there are on a worksheet - and how many cells there
are on a row as well? If so, the answer can be quite complex because what
you see as an empty row or cell when you view the workbook using Excel may
not actually be so. Excel will create a record for the row/cell if it
believe that anything has been done to warrant that - for example, if the
user populated a cell in error and then removed the contents, it is likely
that Excel will still create records for the row and cell even if you do not
actually see it on the worksheet. POI will read and report this row and that
may be why the count of rows you are seeing differs.

The two methods - getPhysicalNumberOfRows() and getLastRowNum() are designed
to perform completely different functions and will return different values.
The first - getPhysicalNumberOfRows() - will return a number that indicates
how many rows on the worksheet have been populated with data; more
accurately, how many row records exist. Imagine, therefore, that you have a
worksheet where only rows 10, 11 and 12 are populated, this method will
simply return the number 3. The getLastRowNum() method on the other hand
will return the index number of the bottom most row - in the case above, row
number 12 - poi index 11.

Yours

Mark B