poi-dev mailing list archives

From Kyle Ray <k...@DIRTT.net>
Subject RE: Commons Math dependency?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:04:06 GMT
Hello,

Depends on how much of the Commons Math you use? If it's only a small percentage/portion of
the commons math library I would just implement your own equivalent methods, terrible I know,
but if you expect to use more than a handful methods out of Commons Math I would include the
whole library as a dependency. If you allow some people to use it and others to run without
it you have to make sure everyone who uses the library handles exceptions properly when the
library isn't available (this is likely to be a major pain in your ass) hence why I suggest
including it by default.  How hard is it to make these features work without the Commons Math
Library?

For what 'we' use POI for including commons math as a dependency is no problem, we just use
POI for processing data and we don't include POI as a dependency of our application.

Thank you,
Kyle Ray
d 403-450-3620
c 403-607-3346

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Burch [mailto:nick.burch@alfresco.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 8:41 AM
To: dev@poi.apache.org
Subject: Commons Math dependency?

Hi All

We now have two proposed patches that need commons math. Firstly the
POISSON function (bug #49538), and another (number I forget) which was for
fractions when formatting numbers.

The latest version of commons math is a 800kb jar file. This is, however,
larger than all the existing non-ooxml dependencies put together, and half
the size of the core POI jar. That said, it's only 20% of the size of the
minimal ooxml schemas jar file, and a third of the size of xmlbeans.

What do people think? Would it be ok to include this as a dependency?
Should we require it for these features, but let everything else work
without it (which could mean you run poi fine for ages, then suddenly one
day it blows up saying "hey, I need commons math now!")? Should we decline
the patches that need commons math, and do without those features?

Thoughts?

Nick