poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release POI 3.7 beta 1
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:20:43 GMT
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> (1) REL_3_7_BETA1 depends on ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar
> If I do clean checkout and then "ant dist" then the compilation fails,
> however if I run the compile-ooxml-xsds target first then the compilation
> complets OK.

Looks like a missing dependency on one of the ant tasks, should be fixed
in r954507.

> We should clearly distinguish:  ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar is JDK 1.4 and
> ooxml-schemas-1.1.jar is JDK 1.5.

The switch to compiling the ooxml schemas as Java 1.5 was made in late
2009 by yourself, or so svn blame tells me...
r882927 | yegor | 2009-11-21 15:30:54 +0000 (Sat, 21 Nov 2009) | 1 line

included poi-ooxml-schemas and poi-examples in the release cycle, also
misc improvements in build.xml: merged scratchpad and main examples,
improved cross-module classpath dependencies, removed obsolete targets

Quite happy to go with whatever you think about the naming though, since
it was your change! I've tweaked the docs slightly.

> (2) build of REL_3_7_BETA1 is locale-sensitive. There are two unit tests
> that fail if the sources are compiled in the ASCII encoding. I confirmed
> the problem on Win7 and Solaris.

I'm surprised we didn't set the encoding before, but thanks for fixing it!

> (3) Compilation against ooxml-schemas-1.1.jar completes with 124 new
> deprecation warnings.
>
> Actually, all calls of kind xmlbean.getXXXArray() are deprecated in favor of
> xmlbean.getXXXList().

I've been seeing these warnings for months, but not thought much about
them. Anyone who has a svn checkout, who since late november has done an
"ant clean" will have been running on the Java 1.5 version of the schemas.

I think it would be good to clean up the warnings, but I don't see an
urgent need to do it before the beta, probably only before the final

> I'm fine with using ooxml-schemas-1.1.jar and JDK 1.5 syntax but we
> should adjust our codebase and test-drive it for at least one month
> before cutting release.

See above, I think quite a few of us have been trying it for a while
without realising!

> Another point is the recent research performed by Bruce Alcock
> (Bryce.Alcock@sungard.com) - improper calls of setXXXArray() can
> significatnly affect performance. I made a number of improvements in
> XSSFSheet and XSSFRow and would like to research performance of setXXXList()
> vs setXXXArray()

There's no such thing as setXXXList - it still seems to be setXXXArray.
AFAICT, it's only the get methods which switch when you compile for Java
1.5, not the setters

I'm tempted to do a new set of beta 1 artifacts and restart the voting.
Would that work for you?

Nick