poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: Dependency on Java 6
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 14:59:31 GMT
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Will Coleda wrote:
> The web site (http://poi.apache.org/howtobuild.html) and the ant help
> task indicate that POI only needs java 1.5, but we have at least one
> 1.6 dependency:

Alas these can creep in from time to time.

>    [javac] D:/Documents and Settings/501600804/workspace-mye/POI
> Build/src/java/org/apache/poi/poifs/crypt/Decryptor.java:52: cannot
> find symbol
>    [javac] symbol  : method getBytes(java.nio.charset.Charset)
>    [javac] location: class java.lang.String
>    [javac] byte[] hash =
> sha1.digest(password.getBytes(Charset.forName("UTF-16LE")));

Should now be fixed

> Is there a reason to stay at 5 (in which case we can patch this to use
> the older getBytes(String), or should we update the site & docs to
> refer to 6 for working with svn (and 3.7, if this will be included in
> that cut)?

I think for now we want to stay with Java 5 for now. POI gets used in lots
of places, and a surprisingly large number of business deployments are
sticking with the Java 5 JVM for now. We even still get people asking for
Java 1.4 every so often!

Nick