poi-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release POI 3.7 beta 1
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:30:48 GMT

> The switch to compiling the ooxml schemas as Java 1.5 was made in late
> 2009 by yourself, or so svn blame tells me...
> r882927 | yegor | 2009-11-21 15:30:54 +0000 (Sat, 21 Nov 2009) | 1 line
>
> included poi-ooxml-schemas and poi-examples in the release cycle, also
> misc improvements in build.xml: merged scratchpad and main examples,
> improved cross-module classpath dependencies, removed obsolete targets
>
> Quite happy to go with whatever you think about the naming though,
> since it was your change! I've tweaked the docs slightly.

My bad. I forgot about this change and thought it was recently made by you.

>> Another point is the recent research performed by Bruce Alcock
>> (Bryce.Alcock@sungard.com) - improper calls of setXXXArray() can
>> significatnly affect performance. I made a number of improvements in
>> XSSFSheet and XSSFRow and would like to research performance of
>> setXXXList() vs setXXXArray()
>
> There's no such thing as setXXXList - it still seems to be
> setXXXArray. AFAICT, it's only the get methods which switch when you
> compile for Java 1.5, not the setters

The returned list is mutable and should support random insertions like
xmlobj.getXXXList().add(idx, bean). I wonder about the performance.

> I'm tempted to do a new set of beta 1 artifacts and restart the
> voting. Would that work for you?

I propose  to revert trunk and REL_3_7_BETA1 to use
ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar (JDK 1.4). There is only one or two classes using
JDK 1.5 features and it should be easy.
Then re-cut release and only after it change trunk to use
ooxml-schemas-1.1.jar. This way it will be safe.

Yegor