poi-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release POI 3.7 beta 1
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:53:43 GMT
-1.

there are some last-minute changes that seem show stoppers.

  (1) REL_3_7_BETA1 depends on ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar
If I do clean checkout and then "ant dist" then the compilation fails,
however if I run the compile-ooxml-xsds target first then the
compilation complets OK.
We should clearly distinguish:  ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar is JDK 1.4 and
ooxml-schemas-1.1.jar is JDK 1.5.

  (2) build of REL_3_7_BETA1 is locale-sensitive. There are two unit
tests that fail if the sources are compiled in the ASCII encoding. I
confirmed the problem on Win7 and Solaris.

   The first failure is in
org.apache.poi.hssf.extractor.TestExcelExtractor#testFormatting():

       assertTrue(
             text.indexOf(
                "£nn.nn\t£10.52\n"
             ) > -1
       );

  The second failue is
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.TestHSSFDataFormatter#testFromFile()

       // text isn't quite the format rule...
       assertEquals("£nn.nn",
sheet.getRow(12).getCell(0).getStringCellValue());
       assertEquals("\"£\"#,##0.00",
sheet.getRow(12).getCell(1).getCellStyle().getDataFormatString());
       assertEquals("£10.52",
f.formatCellValue(sheet.getRow(12).getCell(1)));

The Pound sign isn't properly converted into byte code. The workaround
is to use unicode notation:

       assertTrue(
             text.indexOf(
                "\u00a3nn.nn\t\u00a310.52\n"
             ) > -1
       );

it always works.

I fixed the problem in r954172, but it was after REL_3_7_BETA1.

  (3) Compilation against ooxml-schemas-1.1.jar completes with 124 new
deprecation warnings.

Actually, all calls of kind xmlbean.getXXXArray() are deprecated in
favor of xmlbean.getXXXList().
I'm fine with using ooxml-schemas-1.1.jar and JDK 1.5 syntax but we
should adjust our codebase and test-drive it for at least one month
before cutting release.
  Another point is the recent research performed by Bruce Alcock
(Bryce.Alcock@sungard.com) - improper calls of setXXXArray() can
significatnly affect performance. I made a number of improvements in
XSSFSheet and XSSFRow and would like to research performance of
setXXXList() vs setXXXArray() . Until I do it, I would rather abstain
from  switching to ooxml-schemas-1.1.jar.

Yegor

Hi All