poi-dev mailing list archives

From Anjana Fernando <laferna...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SQL based data access for POI-HSSF and POI-XSSF
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:58:43 GMT
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Anjana Fernando <lafernando@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:17 PM, David Fisher <dfisher@jmlafferty.com> wrote:
>> One possibility is to use Derby (http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/ApacheCon.html
look into "Saucer Separation") to read an excel sheet into an internal structure. Derby would
then provide the sql capability.

>> So, I would recommend you look into incorporating POI under Derby somehow as the
database file driver.

>> I were forced to do this that is what I'd do.
>>

> Thanks, will take a look :) ..

Hi Dave,

I'm guessing, you were referring to the table functions feature that
is used in Derby. After going through it a little, I see that it
cannot be really used to the requirement I'm suggesting. If this
functionality is to be used in a generic way, the behavior have to be
dynamic, where the Excel sheets has to be mapped to database tables
and so in, at the runtime. But table functions require that you give a
specific static function providing a result set to the external data.
And also the SQL syntax also will be different when referring to the
imported tables, but I would prefer if the user is transparent from
those complexities and can use SQL via a JDBC driver in a way that it
is talking to a database directly.

Cheers,
Anjana.