poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com>
Subject Re: SQL based data access for POI-HSSF and POI-XSSF
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:34:36 GMT
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Anjana Fernando wrote:
> I was wondering, if it will be useful if there is an SQL based method
> (JDBC Driver) for querying data in Excel files using Apache POI. It can
> be a subset of standard SQL, where mostly used operations such as
> SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE etc .. can be run, and maybe also transaction
> support, i.e. serializable isolation level.

I must confess I've never had a single occasion where I thought "I wish I
could query an excel file through SQL"... However, if you have, then
perhaps it's not that unusual!

> I'm willing to put in the work for adding this functionality, if this is
> something worth doing .. hoping for comments :) ..

If you'd like to do some work on this, I'm sure we'd be happy to put it
into the contrib module or somewhere like that. Be aware though that I
suspect it'll be even more memory hungry than POI normally is... You'd
probably want to use the common (ss) usermodel, so it can work for both
old and new files

Nick