poi-dev mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: How to get the Cell Number from POI 3.5
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 06:37:46 GMT

Hello James,

I am not at all familiar with such an old version of POI - 2.5 - so can I
ask please, what exactly did the getCellNum() method return?

The co-ordinates of a cell are usually the product of the column and the row
it sits in. When you recover a cell using POI, the typical idiom is to get a
row from a sheet using an index and then to get a cell from the row also
using an index. Thus, the cell's number is the pair of co-ordinates - row
and column index - that you use to obtain it in the first place. If you are
after the cells index in Excel's format then there is a support calss that
will convert from the row and column index into that format be it A1, X35 of
whatever. Take a look here -
http://poi.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/poi/ss/util/CellReference.html -
CellReference allows you to convert from the column and row indices used to
refer to cell in POI to it's Excel equivalent.

Do not know if this helps at all as I am not familiar with 2.5 and the
getCellNum() method. If not, then can you explain what that method did and
it should be possible to convery from one value into another.

Yours

Mark B