poi-dev mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: Writing image to HSSFHeader or HSSFFooter
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:54:46 GMT

As far as I am aware, the answer to this questionis no, teher is no simple
way to accomplish this task with POI.

You do however have two options, the first of which is to create a template
using Excel. This way, you can create the header/footer and add the image
using Microsoft's application and then save the file away as a templte.
Next, open the file using POI and populate the worksheet(s) with data and I
think that I am correct when I say that the image should be preserved/copied
successfully by the api.

The ability to add images to headers/footers is quite a recent addition to
Excel - I think that versions prior to 2002/3 did not support this feature
so you may need to be aware of that limitation if some of your users still
have, for example, Excel 2000. There are ways to circumvent the issue and
trick Excel into seemingly placing images in header/footers. In essence, you
place the logo into a cell at the top of the sheet and then set the number
of rows to be repeated at the top of each page to include this row/rows. I
have never tried it but the support does exist in the API - for example it
is possible to place an image into cell A1 for example and the HSSFSheet
class does offer the setRepeatingRowsAndColumns(int sheetIndex, int
startColumn, int endColumn, int startRow, int endRow) method. It should be
easy enough to put together some code to test this hypothesis out.

Yours

Mark B