poi-dev mailing list archives

From MSB <markbrd...@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject Re: how to read comments ( Annotation ) with poi in word document ( 97/2000/xp/2003 )
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:18:43 GMT

In that case, I am not at all sure you can extract just the comments. Looking
through the javadoc for the HWPF stream, there is no obvious method to call
that returns just the comments. If ti were me, I would simply get all of the
text from a Word document using HWPF and see if the comments are returned
along with the paragraph text. If they are, then you could dig around more
to see if it is possible to differentiate the comments from the paragraph
text in some way.

The easiest way to get at the text for the document would be to make use of
an instance of the org.apache.poi.hwpf.extractor.WordExtractor class. It has
two methods - getText() and getParagraphText() - that you could use to
examine the documents contents, a little like this;

WordExtractor extractor = new WordExtractor(new FileInputStream(new
File("Your file name")));
String[] paraText = extractor.getParagraphText();
for(int i = 0; i < paraText.length; i++) {
    System.out.println(paraText[i]);
}

then, if you see the comments, start to dig around more to discover whether
it is possible to identify them specifically.

Yours

Mark B