poi-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta5
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:17:37 GMT
Hi Dave,
> I had to ask. I've seen a Jakarta beta do it differently, but we are a
> huge project compared to that.
>
> So, OK. Let's make sure that we get these issues resolved next week -
> then at least the nightly builds will have all the details properly
> marked.
>
> (1) A really, really proper NOTICE and LICENSE.
> (2) All copyright statements in the project properly checked and
> adjusted.
Should be fixed in r747303.

> (3) All source files with the proper license statement in them.

We had files with a non-standard ASF2 licence header:

Compare two versions:

/* ====================================================================
   Copyright 2002-2004   Apache Software Foundation

   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
   You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.
==================================================================== */

and

/* ====================================================================
   contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
   The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
   (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
   the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.
==================================================================== */

The files are:

trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\record\DVALRecord.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\record\DVRecord.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\DVConstraint.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\HSSFDataValidation.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\HSSFObjectData.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\HSSFOptimiser.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\HSSFPictureData.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\util\CellRangeAddress.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\util\CellRangeAddress8Bit.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\util\CellRangeAddressList.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\ss\util\CellRangeAddress.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\ss\util\CellRangeAddressBase.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\ss\util\CellRangeAddressList.java
trunk\src\testcases\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\TestDataValidation.java
trunk\src\testcases\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\TestHSSFOptimiser.java
trunk\src\testcases\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\TestRowStyle.java

I changed all of them to have the standard header just to be on the safe
side :)
> Do we have any other copyrights in the code other than one we had the
> author re-license?
> ./resources/scratchpad/org/apache/poi/hdgf/chunks_parse_cmds.tbl
> 3:# Copyright (C) 2006-2007     Valek Filippov (frob@df.ru)

No, I think it was the only case.  I searched and didn't find any other
copyrights .

Another potential issue are our test files. Many of them were uploaded
in Bugzilla and then included in svn.
A way to identify ownership of a MS Office file is via its OLE
properties. Currently  the test files are distributed "as is" and there
is no indication that these files are a part of POI. That means if a
user examines them, he sees the Author, Company and other properties in
the original form, as they were submitted to Bugzilla.

Do we have to care about them? If yes,  I see two potential improvements:

 - include an entry in the NOTICE covering the test files.
 - programmatically insert the ASF license, for example, in the Comments
OLE property. Create an utility to audit test files before release.

Regards,
Yegor