poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject HDGF, chunks_parse_cmds.tbl, and GPLv3
Date Sun, 07 Dec 2008 14:43:34 GMT
Hi,

When updating the POI dependency in Tika I ran across the
chunks_parse_cmds.tbl file in the HDGF scratchpad component.

The POI NOTICE file says:
> Since this is a data file, and has no compiled version (the original
> file is distributed in both source and binary versions of POI), there should
> be little difference in licencing requirements compared to the ASL.

The GPLv3 does seem to allow (GPLv3 section 4) verbatim copies of such
source files without the the viral effects, but any modifications
(GPLv3 section 5) to the chunkds_parse_cmds.tbl file would require
licensing entire POI under that license.

We may want to argue on legal-discuss@ whether the GPLv3 section 4
would allow us to treat it as a category B license in
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html, but until that I don't
think it's a good idea to include any GPLv3 files in Apache svn or
releases.

BR,

Jukka Zitting