poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: OOXML branch and JDK 1.4
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:50:55 GMT
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> Currently only ooxml code uses JDK 1.5 features. The OLE2 stuff is
> compatible with jdk 1.4. That means we can't use enums, generics and
> other 1.5 features in HSSF and other OLE2 projects.

Back in january, then plan for 3.5 was that it'd be a drop in replacement
for hssf 3.1, with changes only needed by users wanting ooxml support etc.

Admitedly, we were hoping that both 3.2 and 3.5 would've been out by now,
and the ooxml stuff would be trunk. Alas that hasn't happened yet.

One big advantage to me of hssf in 3.5 staying jdk 1.4 is that it makes
merging much easier. There's a hell of a lot work going on on hssf on
trunk (for 3.2) which needs to be merged over, and anything that makes the
process harder is bad for me :/

> It's 2008. J2SE 1.4.2 will reach its End of Service Life in October 2008:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

On a personal note, I do actually have poi running on about 6 machines
running jdk 1.4, but I'm hoping to get them onto 1.5 within the next few
weeks!

> I think we can start using 1.5 features throughout the ooxml branch and,
> probably, in trunk.

My vote would be that as soon as we get poi 3.2 out, we switch the ooxml
branch to trunk. We then release 3.5, our last jdk 1.4 hssf release.
Finally, we tag the next release as poi 4.0, and make it jdk 1.5
everywhere. We can then go through adding generics and enums as we want,
and possibly do a 4.0 release not too long after that.

All it'll need is some more help getting 3.2 and 3.5 to final :)

I'm not sure we should be making 3.2 (from trunk) jdk1.5 at this stage,
and I'm against anything that makes merging from trunk much harder.

Nick