poi-dev mailing list archives

From Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>
Subject Re: Generating ppt through java
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:40:03 GMT
Dimension of an individual character can be calculated using java.awt.Font.getStringBounds
.
Example:

  FontRenderContext frc= new FontRenderContext(null, true, true);
  Font font = new Font("Arial", Font.ITALIC | Font.BOLD, 10);

  Rectangle2D bounds = font.getStringBounds("POI", frc);

If you have a text with multiple style runs then you will need to use java.text.AttributedString.
You can leverage TextPainter.getAttributedString, this method iterates over RichTextRuns in
the TextRun and builds
AttributedString for you.

Suppose you set the width of a text box to 200px and want to calculate the number of lines
and total height of the text.
The code below demonstrates how you can do that:

         TextShape textShape = ...;

         TextPainter paineter = new TextPainter(textShape);
         AttributedString str = paineter.getAttributedString(textShape.getTextRun());

         AttributedCharacterIterator text = str.getIterator();
         LineBreakMeasurer measurer = new LineBreakMeasurer(text, frc);
         float wrappingWidth = (float)textShape.getAnchor2D().getWidth();
         float textHeight = 0;
         while (measurer.getPosition() < text.getEndIndex()) {

             TextLayout layout = measurer.nextLayout(wrappingWidth);

             textHeight += layout.getAscent() + layout.getDescent() + layout.getLeading();
         }
         System.out.println(" wrapping width: " + wrappingWidth + ", text height: " + textHeight);

Note, the calculation above is very rough and doesn't take into account margins, line spacings,
etc.
For a more complete example see how TextPainter draws text.

Yegor