poi-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject Re: Rejection of any ENCUMBERED Microsoft Donation to POI
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:51:27 GMT
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Get explicit clarification on the OSP from an actual lawyer or
> Microsoft.

Baker & McKenize, who are a top IP law firm, have actually produced
such a report/clarification on the OSP:
http://www.bakernet.com/NR/rdonlyres/EEE2F422-F747-42CA-9DAA-E72F751A2FFA/0/london_it_openxmlstandardisation_publication_jan08.pdf

Section 3.2 in particular is worth a read, since it does appear to clarify
that there is a non-discriminatory, free of charge license on all the
Microsoft patents, so we (and our users) are OK. The whole document's only
about 10 pages, so I'd strongly recommend that people have a read of it.

Nick