poi-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ramji <sra...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: ApachePOI Email
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:55:12 GMT
All:

I've just become aware of the concerns raised on this list regarding

the inclusion of OpenXML implementation in ApachePOI.  I was not

previously subscribed to this list, and I apologize for Microsoft's

absence in this discussion topic.

The purpose of the OSP is to ensure that we are granting a permanent

royalty-free license to any Microsoft intellectual property required

to implement certain specifications we have identified, making it easy to adopt such specifications
for any use, commercial or non- commercial.

As Sam Ruby said in an earlier email (and I paraphrase), we are

interested in promoting ISO/IEC 29500 and ECMA 376, and want to ensure

that it's easy to adopt.  My personal goals are to make our

specifications easy to adopt by open source projects and generally

useful to users of open source.

To that end, we are working on the various issues being raised, and we ask the POI community
to bear with us for a few more days in order to come up with a thorough answer, which we'll
post to this list.

Cheers,

Sam

Sam Ramji