poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@buni.org>
Subject Re: Rejection of any ENCUMBERED Microsoft Donation to POI
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:52:07 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>>
>>> I'm happy to (re)state this. Sourcesense owns the copyright to their
>>> contribution to the OOXML branch of POI.
>>>

>> On that point but not the patent.
>
> Good, at least that's a step forward.
>
>>> Would that be enough?
>>
>> Resolve the patent issue and it will be.
>
> I don't think there is a lot to be done on this side. I personally
> believe the OSP is enough to let us work on OOXML. You think that's not
> the case. Stalemate? Not quite. The POI PMC has asked for an explicit
> clearance to the ASF legal team, and got a green light. To me that's
> pretty much all we need, and any further discussion on whether the OSP
> (or whatever the new ISO/ECMA patent rules for OOXML are) is acceptable
> or not shouldn't even fall within the remit of the PMC itself, as that's
> a clear competence of the legal counsel. I can only reiterate my invite
> to discuss the matter where it belongs (starting from legal-discuss and
> maybe expanding on http://tinyurl.com/58uk2v): the POI PMC will then
> just have to abide by whatever the decision of Apache's powers that be is.
>
> Ciao,

That thread is insufficient.  I'm still -1 on the commit.  Get explicit
clarification on the OSP from an actual lawyer or Microsoft.  I support
you having believes and practicing them, so long as they don't endanger
POI and its users which I believe you to be doing.  I believe that you
are behaving a bit irresponsibly at the moment.

thanks,

Andy

--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite