poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Rejection of any ENCUMBERED Microsoft Donation to POI
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:14:06 GMT
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:24 PM, David Fisher <dfisher@jmlafferty.com> wrote:
>  On Apr 17, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
> > We have a very high profile and ongoing dispute with another vendor on
> > similar matters.  If nothing else, it should show that we are very
> > serious about such things.  In the extreme case, it could very well
> > mean that we yank some portions of specific products or even entire
> > projects.
>
>  I'm not sure what you are referring to. Is it Sun Java / Harmony ?

While I was referring to that, I would like to discourage us going off
into a tangent exploring the various ways in which the two cases are
similar or different.  My only point is that we are serious, and we
will not agree to terms that require our users to obtain additional
licenses in order to use our Work.  I can also point at sender-id
where we took a similar stance with sender-id:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/docs/sender-id-position.html

>  Can you say what you do for IBM?

I work in the Emerging Technologies group, and specialize in matters
relating to the ASF and certain standards including HTML5 and Atom.
Previously I focused on Web Services (I have since reformed), C#, CLI,
and before that ECMAScript (a.k.a. JavaScript).

- Sam Ruby