poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: List of Patents required to implement OOXML (was: Rejection ofany ENCUMBERED Microsoft Donation to POI)
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:26:47 GMT
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:01 AM,  <dfisher@jmlafferty.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
>  I have a question, you've said you are software developer and not a diplomat, when did
you find time to get a law degree? If you have a JD where did you get it, and where did you
pass the bar? If you don't, have you actually discussed these issues recently  with a lawyer
specializing in intellectual property? If so, have you done so recently?

>  As you can tell from these discussions this is a subtle issue, seek advice. To me it
looks like you against the rest of us.

>  Btw - you voted -1 before apachecon.

A few points of order.  For starters, I too have not passed any bar.
But I would support the efforts of any committer who acted to either
prevent or minimize any imminent legal danger or security exposure.
Even if they were acting alone.  Of course, I would expect them to be
fully prepared to justify their actions afterwards.  Such an action
would not be a veto, and perhaps Andy mischaracterized it as such.
Such a mischaracterization is not something I am concerned with at the
moment.

The question in the forefront of my mind is whether or not there is
any imminent danger, legal or otherwise, which would justify any
committer to contemplate making such a destructive act?

If Andy is merely attempting to draw attention to a topic that he
considers important, then I would agree with him that he is no
diplomat.

- Sam Ruby