poi-dev mailing list archives

From David Fisher <dfis...@jmlafferty.com>
Subject Re: POI Formulas
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:21:27 GMT
Hi Josh,

> With regard to generation of spreadsheets, POI currently only supports
> built-in functions (the ~300 basic functions like ROUND and STDEV).
>
> I did some quick research on the "Bloomberg Excel add-in", but I
> couldn't determine exactly how to set up my Excel so that I could try
> calling BDP.  I'm guessing that there is a .xlam or .xll file, for
> Bloomberg, much like the standard "Analysis Toolpack" (analys32.xll /
> atpvbaen.xlam which has functions like PRICE, YIELD and WEEKNUM)
>
> I think that POI currently encodes an unknown function call as an
> 'external function in the current workbook', but what is needed (for
> add-ins) is an 'external function in an external workbook'. POI may
> support calls to add-ins soon, and if the bloomberg stuff is an
> "add-in", your sample code should work.

> BTW, when I try the code on the latest svn trunk, the formula
> *appears* to get in OK (the cell content displays as '=BDP(A1,"PX YEST
> CLOSE")' ).  My excel(2007) evaluates this to '#NAME?'
>
> I can think of two main reasons why you got '=#N/A', and I got
> '#NAME?'
> - you are using a prior version of POI (less than svn trunk which is
> 3.0.2+), in which case there is a very slight chance that the trunk
> may actually work for you.
> - you have the Bloomberg add-in which confuses Excel as to the exact
> definition of the called BDP().

The bug you just fixed that Yegor submitted was meant to fix this same
type of issue, but in our case it is Factset and not Bloomberg.

If this is broken, I am highly interested in solving this immediately.

If Gareth can try trunk today, and confirm if it fails, or not, then
I'll ask Yegor to focus on it. I may need this to work in my
production immediately. At a minimum it would help to have the
"Bloomberg" file submitted as a bug report.

Regards,
Dave