poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@buni.org>
Subject Re: Rejection of any ENCUMBERED Microsoft Donation to POI
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 03:59:05 GMT
My position is very simple:

If Microsoft is commissioning your work or contributing then they need
to sign a CLA-C for the purpose of this work any individual contributors
must also sign a CLA-I.  All patents and IP that they may have needs to
be under an unrestricted royalty free license compatible with the open
source definition (which is covered by the CLA).  I'm very pleased this
work is going on, we just need to make sure that nothing is under RAND +
non-commercial or any other encumbering agreement.  This is why
previously we asked all committers to certify that they had no
encumbering agreement with Microsoft regarding the file formats.

Bottom line: If MS is going to contribute directly or through third
parties I welcome them and their move away from binary file formats, but
POI must stay freely distributable without field of use restrictions.

The relationship should also be more clear in the future rather than "me
and some colleagues".

-Andy