poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@buni.org>
Subject Rejection of any ENCUMBERED Microsoft Donation to POI
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:15:24 GMT
For the moment I'm having issues with my normal email address due to
Buni's ISP providing inadequate service and our lack of time moving off
of it.  I'll read the list enough to keep up.  If you don't get a
response and expected one then email acoliver ot gmail dat org.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206905858&subSection=News

I vote -1 to any donation from SourceSense or Microsoft which holds
these terms:

"
For patented protocols, Microsoft said it would offer licenses on
"reasonable and non-discriminatory terms." Open source developers can
access the protocols for free for noncommercial use without fear of
lawsuits, Microsoft said.
"

This violates the Open Source Definition:
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

specifically #6.

In order for any donations to be acceptable they must certify that ALL
rights necessary for the software to be properly licensed as open source
are transferred and sign a Software Contributor Agreement:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

This would exclude the proposed RAND and "non-commercial" directive.

I have no problem with microsoft donating to POI provided they donate
ACTUAL open source and not Faux-open source.

-Andy