poi-dev mailing list archives

From Avik Sengupta <avik.sengu...@itellix.com>
Subject Forrest and POI docs
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 13:06:45 GMT
Our documentation is currently being generated using apache forrest
(http://forrest.apache.org/) I think it works pretty well (using our own
definition of 'well' of course :)

The trouble is, it apparently works only on forrest 0.5.1, since the support
for something called 'antproxy.xml' has been removed (cant find when, from
the changelogs) My inclination is to NOT move the build to the latest and
greatest version of forrest. Having looked, I doubt it will be a trivial
task, given that the learning curve in forrest is a difficult one... among
other things I dont understand, apparently forrest now bundles its own
version of ant (why on earth?)

Further, forrest is not 1.0 yet, and the possibility of further incompatible
changes is pretty high... we've already done a couple of rounds of
refactoring of our documentation build process.

I would therefore suggest that POI continue to build the documentation using
forrest 0.5.1. Its just and extra click to download. We need to highlight
this better in our own documentation of course.

Therefore, if you have strong feelings about supporting the latest forrest
version, now is the time to shout, and indeed, jump in and rewrite the build!

Thoughts?

Regards
-
Avik