poi-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Another alpha release?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:40:42 GMT
David Fisher schrieb:
> Sounds like a description of a release cycle to me.

Yep.

> Before a code freeze is called you should ask about planned
> contributions and decide if they should be included and set a
> reasonable plan for a contribution deadline.
>
> Keep in mind that contributions are made by people who are working on
> commercial projects with real deadlines and are made at times that are
> "convenient" to those times. ALL of Yegor Kozlov's recent
> contributions fit this category.
>
> So, if the decision becomes have a code freeze then I very much hope
> that it is no earlier than January 15th.

This is all quite right, but I'd rather like to make a code freeze NOW,
make sure there aren't any show stoppers, quickly roll out the release
and then continue development. There are always plans for new features
that should go into the software. And yes, they really should and will.
However, it has been years since the last release! I prefer to have
releases much more often, say, twice a year or so.

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  K├Ârner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

OpenPGP fingerprint: E4E4386515EE0BED5C162FBB5343461584B5A42E