poi-dev mailing list archives

From avik.sengu...@itellix.com
Subject Re: Development of poi-ruby contribution
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 05:27:50 GMT
Well, I did the poi-ruby module initially as a proof of concept, but
havent been
sure if its useful to anybody :) .. I'd be delighted to see it developed
further.

I dont believe you need to wrap the poifs modules. The good thing about poi,
from the wrapping point of view, is that its got a clear encapsulation of its
public api. So you need only start wrapping from HSSFWorkbook onwards.

To start with read support, you essentially need to wrap the HSSFWorkbook
constructor that takes an InputStream. For write support, there is the
translation of a ruby IO object to a java OutputStream. Similary, you need to
transform a ruby IO object to a java InputStream

beyond that, you need to wrap more methods of HSSFWorkbook, and then the child
objects of workbook, ie HSSFRow, HSSFCell, HSSFFormat etc.. some which are
already done.. but more methods might be needed.

Hope that helps. Shout if you need anything else.

Regards
-
Avik