poi-dev mailing list archives

From "N. Hira" <nh...@cognocys.com>
Subject RE: Need Help on Generating Charts
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:31:40 GMT
The underlying problem is that POI does not handle MS-Excel charts very
well.

The work-around is to create a chart in a document, as I described, then
simply copy the file over and replace the sample data with real data --
POI/HSSF does that just fine.

In MS-Excel, Charts can always be updated to reflect changes to the
underlying data.  Thus, your charts will be dynamic as you require.  For
example, if I create a pie chart with 10 sample rows of data in my
"template", then when I replace those 10 rows with 100 real rows using Java,
the user can _painlessly_ update the chart to see the new data.

Regards,

-h