poi-dev mailing list archives

From Amol Deshmukh <amol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: HSSF breaks text in cells - known problem?
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:07:31 GMT
Matthias,

Which version of POI are you using?

If you havent done so yet, could you:

1. Try building from the latest source and see
what results you get?

2. If that doesnt work, please attach the excel
to a bug report (if its a big file, you could
upload the smallest file that exhibits the bug)

Regards,
~ amol

a few cells of an
> (admittedly not trivial) Excel workbook using the
HSSF package.

> Unfortunately, already the simple case of
>
> FileInputStream inFile = new
FileInputStream(args[0]);
> POIFSFileSystem fs = new POIFSFileSystem(inFile);
> HSSFWorkbook wb = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);
> FileOutputStream outFile = new
FileOutputStream(args[1]);
> wb.write(outFile);
> outFile.close();
>
> breaks the workbook: It seems as if all cells
containing text are
> corrupted; all texts will be prefixed with a 0xFF
byte and
> truncated by
> one byte on their right, that is, they all lose
their last character.
> Apart from that, everything seems to be fine.
>
> Trying to narrow possible causes, I found that
removing a
> certain set of
> worksheets stops the problem from appearing; copying
them to another
> workbook still lets them work on their own. So this
is nothing I could
> attribute to a special cell value, sheet or
whatever... :(

> Unfortunately, I have only little experience with
java and don't have
> the tools at hand to look into this myself - yet.
>
> If the problem sounds familiar (i. e. a common one
or a known bug),
> please let me know; maybe a workaround exists.
>
> If not, I will do my best to look into it as good as
I can and file a