poi-dev mailing list archives

From Avik Sengupta <avik.sengu...@itellix.com>
Subject RE: Writing unit tests for the powerpoint code
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 13:29:58 GMT
On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 09:05 -0400, Michael Zalewski wrote:
> Those are good tests.
>
> But think smaller.

I was composing a mail with the same sentiments, but Michael says it
better!

Its difficult (impossible?) to do a full functional test automated.
However, testing smaller pieces is well worth the effort.

In HSSF, I do the 'opening in excel' part manually, but that's a very
small part of the HSSF testsuite, and they are usually important only
while you are initially developing the funtionality. In the long term,
to prevent regressions, smaller unit tests are much more valuable.  If
the file doesnt open properly, there is usually an underlying cause that
can be tested independently. When you have a regression, smaller tests
will obviously provide better diagnostics.