poi-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion migration
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:03:54 GMT
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:30:50 -0500, acoliver@jboss.org
<acoliver@jboss.org> wrote:
> >To that end, is POI your classic single codebase to single jar? Are
> >

> multiple jars
>
> >there multiple different codebases and targets? Any weirdness to do
> >

> multiple targets same codebase more or less (scratchpad/contrib are
> different).  What's it to subversion?  We version everything as one.

They're just questions I thought could have bearing on the structural
decision. If it's all just one codebase, then the standard style seems
to be best:

jakarta/
  poi/
     branches/
     tags/
     trunk/

I don't have a set of example questions to ask, so half of them were
probably irrelevant :)

Another option would be:

jakarta/
  poi/
    core/
      branches/
      tags/
      trunk/
    contrib/
      branches/
      tags/
      trunk/
    scratchpad/
      branches/
      tags/
      trunk/

The major advantage there is that the different codebases are more
independent. Seems that the first is the way to go though.

> >with the binary MS formats that have been a problem in CVS (test files
> >

> no more than any other binary file.  (some XLS files)  Can Subversion
> not handle bins?

It's fine with bins. I'm searching for ideas on things that could be a
problem, so one idea was that maybe you had to do weird things to have
MS test files stay in MS format when checked out on OS X or something.

Probably should ignore such questions and let testing find them :)

Hen