poi-dev mailing list archives

From a...@superlinksoftware.com
Subject Re: Subversion migration
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 04:10:41 GMT

>They're just questions I thought could have bearing on the structural
>decision. If it's all just one codebase, then the standard style seems
>to be best:
>
>jakarta/
>  poi/
>     branches/
>     tags/
>     trunk/

makes the most sense.

>I don't have a set of example questions to ask, so half of them were
>probably irrelevant :)
>
>Another option would be:
>
>jakarta/
>  poi/
>    core/
>      branches/
>      tags/
>      trunk/
>    contrib/
>      branches/
>      tags/
>      trunk/
>    scratchpad/
>      branches/
>      tags/
>      trunk/
>
>The major advantage there is that the different codebases are more
>independent. Seems that the first is the way to go though.

yeah that way seems painful.  (Though thats my opinion, I'll leave it up
to whomever decides they will be the release manager [presently Glen])

>It's fine with bins. I'm searching for ideas on things that could be a
>problem, so one idea was that maybe you had to do weird things to have
>MS test files stay in MS format when checked out on OS X or something.

No they are just binaries.  Only checking them out on windows is a
problem :-) If they aren't marked as binaries because Windows likes to
convert them to the redundant CRLF.  If you can do the equiv of cvs
marking binaries...these are fine.

>Probably should ignore such questions and let testing find them :)

Naw, you convinced folks there is a compelling reason to switch and are
being accomidating, thus I'll do my best (though I'm pretty busy these
days) to be the same.

-Andy