poi-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Stampoultzis <gst...@iinet.net.au>
Subject Re: POI Code
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:13:09 GMT

You can find the powerpoint format at wotzit:

http://www.wotsit.org/download.asp?f=powerpoint97

Haven't looked into powerpoint much so I don't have much in the way of
specifics.  I know it is supposed to be similar to the escher file
format.  That can be found here:

http://chicago.sourceforge.net/devel/docs/escher/

The approach I would take:

1. Build some sort of viewer (like BiffViewer but for power point).
2. Implement as much as you can according to the specification.
3. Use your viewer to pick apart the structure of existing files.
4. Use some sort of diff tool to see what happens when you do various
things to a powerpoint file.

Once you've got a handle on how the file format hangs together try and
build something out of low level records.  Frequently office applications
can be _very_ picky about how things are structured.  You learn through a
process of trial and error what works.

The open office sources may be of some help.  They are somewhat difficult
to read however.  Once you've got enough low level records implemented and
know how to string them together you'll want to start looking at creating
an API.  I suggest if you can to create a model that supports reading and
(re)writing.  It's more work than just reading or just writing but you'll
find it difficult to evolve the code later unless you plan for that now.

Regards,

Glen