poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Dragos Buleandra" <dragos.bulean...@trade2b.ro>
Subject HSSF contributions
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:18:27 GMT
Hi ,

    My name is Dragos Buleandra . I'm a Romanian developer and I work for a German software
company ( www.trade2b.com ).
    In our currently project, in the past 2-3 month ,  I'm in charge with exporting/importing
data to/from Excel files .
    Because we were looking for Java Open source solutions , I searched on Internet and I
found Jakarta Apache Poi project .
    I forgot to say that I'm a Java developer , with 4 years experience in this beautiful
programming language .
    By working with POI and because the clients needed features unsupported by POI , I started
to add new features into this library :

           1) - I fully implemented the entire "Data validation" Excel's mechanism - by implementing
DV and DVAL records ( documented into
                  OpenOffice.org Excel's documentation ) . Of course , I created a method
for easily usage of this mechanism .
                 All features available in Excel regarding this mechanism are supported (
Lists ..... , prompt and error boxes and so on ) .
           2) - Fixed a bug occurred when cloning sheets which contains "Autofiltering"
           3) - Add 3 methods for easily group/outline rows in a sheet ( grouping/outlining
columns is my current task , but in 2 days will be finished ) .
                 By implementing these methods , I fixed a bug into "WSBool" record , where
fields "field_1_wsbool" and "field_2_wsbool" where filled/serialized
                 in the wrong order .
           4) - I also implemented a way to insert images ( in .bmp format ) . This feature
use IMDATA and OBJ records . I found this solution into a Perl module ,
                  without having a documentation for this two Excel records , that's why I
don't intend to post this patch .

     I saw on your forum that many people are expecting  Data validation" Excel's mechanism
, in order to be able to generate Lists in Excel .
     If no one solved this problem , I'll be glad to do it myself .
     I'll be very happy if you can give me an answer ! After I'll finish to implement the
methods required by grouping/outlining columns I want
    to post all my patches , that's why I need  to know if they aren't already implemented
.

     Anyway , POI is a very nice project and very well written from the beginning . Congratulations
!
     I'll be happy to become a contributor to this project !

Regards ,
    Dragos