poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HSSF: Sheet Reference Formula not working
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:45:14 GMT
Yes.  Non-radical Plan:

1. Move existing stuff to POI
2. Ditch Gnumeric/etc
3. create an XMLBeans based fontend.

Yes. Radical plan:

1. Move existing stuff to POI
2. Ditch Gnumeric/etc.
3. Ditch org.apache.poi.**.usermodel for XMLBeans based front-end
4. Then we have XML, a good cursor based front end, an object model, etc.

Challenge: XMLBeans needs pluggable backends

Yes. Conservative but tedious plan:
1. Move stuff to POI
2. Ditch gnumeric stuff
3. Adopt Microsoft's everchanging crappy office XML stuff
4. write a bridge to the frontend based on that which will forever break and
be a pain to keep up to date like the current serializer

Alternatives?

Guess which one I like best?  If you're up for it I can work with you more
to detail this.

-Andy the Free Radical.
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.