poi-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Klute <rainer.kl...@epost.de>
Subject HPSF with codepage support
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:10:41 GMT
	HPSF with codepage support
	--------------------------

HPSF, POI's component to read and write properties, now offers some codepage support. It is
now possible to read and write properties in a large variety of character sets, including,
but no limited to, UTF-8 and UTF-16.

I'd like to invite especially those of you who need more than the ISO 8859-1 or ISO 8859-15
character sets to test the new feature. Just checkout the CVS repository's HEAD revision and
give it a try!

In order to use a certain codepage create a property with ID 1 in a section and set its value
to the codepage number. HPSF maps that number to a character encoding name by prepending a
"cp". For example, the codepage number 1252 is mapped to the character encoding "cp1252".
Exceptions to the rule are 1200 which is mapped to "UTF-16" and 65001 which is mapped to "UTF-8".
Further explicit mappings can be added easily.

Whether you can actually use a codepage depends on your Java Virtual machine and whether it
has the character encoding installed. This is probably much better with a 1.4 JVM than with
a 1.3 JVM.

Please gather some experience with HPSF's codepage support and let me know!

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  K├Ârner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423