poi-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Stampoultzis <gst...@iinet.net.au>
Subject Re: HWPF power dump
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:51:02 GMT
At 12:34 AM 11/11/2003, you wrote:
>Not undocumented structures, just the caching mechanism I was planning on
>using and the way that Word compresses its data structures. I didn't want to
>have the same types of memory problems HSSF has. No offense towards the HSSF
>guys, I am just applying lessons learned from them.
>
>HWPF uses lazy loading for uncompressing data structures and SoftReferences
>for caching the uncompressed structures. My problem was how to make this
>process work round trip (readingWord document in -> editing -> writing Word
>document out). I thought I could make it work a certain way but it was a
>mess so I had to redo it.
>
>Ryan

It'll be interesting to see what you've come up with there.  I'm sure HSSF
could benefit from a similar scheme but there are plenty of complications
such as the fact that you can easily screw the performance if you ended up
compressing and decompressing the SST record frequently for example.

Regards,

Glen