poi-dev mailing list archives

From "A. Rothman" <amic...@amichais.net>
Subject unicode support
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2003 21:18:02 GMT
Hey guys,

After experiencing some unicode trouble with HSSF today, namely setting the cell encoding
before setting it's text (or lack thereof...), I figured since Java is unicode based it's
not too friendly to require users to set unicode flags explicitly in order for unicode to
work. I traced the problem down to UnicodeString.serialize(), and found some rather strange
code that seems to do nothing (decomposing and creating a string, try and catch blocks that
are identical...anyone have any ideas?), and thought we should have the serializer (or perhaps
the constructor?) detect the case where the String contains non-ascii/iso-latin chars and
set the encoding automatically. This can be as simple as a

if (str.equals(new String(str.getBytes("iso8859_1"),"iso8859_1"))) // string can be compressed

what do u say? any implications I didn't think of?

-Amichai