poi-dev mailing list archives

From Joji John <jj...@in.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Bugzilla Bug 20321 "NO IDEA SHARED FORMULA EXP PTG" appears when read copy/paste formula HSSF
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:28:23 GMT

Hi Danny,
I was trying to read the shared formula cells in an excel file using apache
POI. Do we have a version of POI that has the capability of reading the
shared formula records? I had tried with the latest code from apache
(poi-bin-2.0-pre3-20030728.zip) and was not able to read the formula. That
is why I am planning to contribute in fixing this bug. Kindly confirm...

Thanks and Regards,
Joji John,
IBM Software Labs,
Airport Road,
Bangalore 560 017
Phone: 91 80 5044974
Email: jjoji@in.ibm.com

                      Danny Mui

                      <danny@muibros.co        To:       POI Developers List <poi-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

                      m>                       cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Bugzilla Bug 20321 "NO IDEA SHARED
FORMULA
                      08/25/2003 09:34          EXP PTG" appears when read copy/paste formula
 HSSF
                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "POI Developers

                      List"

The write way to fix this is to undo the "optimization" of the shared
formula.  Instead of referencing an EXP ptg, we should expand the
formula in full when reading the file (sheet.fillfields).  My first cut
with shared formulas was to just allow it to be read.  Didn't realize
people messed with the shared formula fields.

Having the Excel Developer's SDK book is a real help for doing this but
using the BiffViewer and reading hex dumps can work as well.

List <poi-dev@jakarta.apache.org>