poi-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: rebuilding the website
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:14:43 GMT
On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 08:02:45PM +0900, Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:54:55 +1000
> Jeff Turner <jefft@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > > What about the possibility of running a daily job from the Apache
> > > machines?  I've confirmed that it is possible to build POI (including docs)

> > > using the jdk on cvs.apache.org.   I'm not sure whether a nightly job on
> > > the Apache machines would be okay with infrastructure or not.
>
> > I have only been on the list a few hours, so am lacking context, but
> > is this discussion about automatically building and publishing the
> > website?
>
> Yes, I think.
>
> > We have a bunch of other Forrest sites being regularly built on
> > http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/.  Builds can be triggered manually or
> > via cron, and the results committed to CVS.  I can set this up for POI if
> > you like?
>
> Yes, please. I think you said that there needed some changes on
> current build.xml. Right?

Well the site doesn't build cleanly out the box:

validate-xdocs:
/home/jeff/apache/jakarta/jakarta-poi/src/documentation/content/xdocs/hdf/projectplan.xml:367:12:
The content of element type "document" must match
"(header,body,footer?)".

A slightly modified copy of the DTDs has been checked in at
src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/, and various pages don't validate
against it.  Is this required, or was this to keep the DOCTYPE
declaration happy (it points to there)?  Forrest uses Ant's <xmlvalidate>
task, which knows where to find DTDs through a catalog file:

<xmlvalidate failonerror="${forrest.validate.site.failonerror}" lenient="no" warn="yes">
  <xmlcatalog>
    <catalogpath>
      <pathelement
        location="${forrest.home}/context/resources/schema/catalog.xcat"/>
      <pathelement location="${project.catalog}"/>
    </catalogpath>
  </xmlcatalog>
  <fileset dir="${project.site-dir}"
    includes="${forrest.validate.xdocs.includes}"
    excludes="${forrest.validate.xdocs.excludes}"/>
</xmlvalidate>

I was able to just delete the dtd/ directory, and a whole lot more of the
site validated.

Other issues:

- hdf/projectplan.xml is invalid; needs a

- the status.xml file is in src/documentation/content/xdocs/, not in the
  root directory as is customary and expected by the sitemap.  I think
  this can be fixed by defining the 'project.status' variable in
  forrest.properties.

- The hssf/chart.xml page has hit a limit I didn't know existed:

X [0] hssf/chart.html   BROKEN: UTFDataFormatException: String cannot be
longer than 32k.

There is a massive text block in the XML.  The XML is valid, so I'd say
this is a Xerces bug.  I'm sure there's a workaround -- will experiment
more later.

--Jeff