poi-dev mailing list archives

From robert_w...@us.ibm.com
Subject fileformats.apache.org (was Re: I have an idea)
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:42:34 GMT
>It might be a good idea to start approaching the board about the
>fileformats.apache.org idea...  However, As I understand it they're all a
>bit busy at the moment...  So maybe in a few weeks.

Intriguing idea.  How broad do you see this being?  POI plus the long-lost
sibling projects (like the Cocoon serializers)?  Other Apache projects
(Batik?)  Concentrating on MS Office formats, or would this be  a place
for other Java-based office-like parsers (OpenOffice, SmartSuite, Corel)
to hang out?   Is there any synergy by having all these projects under one
umbrella, such as internal reuse?  Obviously, we can share core code for
CDF.  Anything else?  Can you paint a mental picture of what you would
want this to look like in 18 months?

-Rob