poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Improving POIFS performance
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:14:02 GMT
On 7/22/03 6:46 PM, "Chris Nokleberg" <chris@sixlegs.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 06:33:11PM -0500, Ryan Ackley wrote:
>> You mentioned memory map. Does it require java 1.4? I honestly don't know
>> what minimum version of java POI officially supports. Andy?
>
> The mmap stuff is separated into a couple optional classes.
> It will at least need 1.4 to build (barring a fancy build process), but it
> shouldn't
> add a runtime dependency unless you actually want to use it :-)

Officially we support 1.3.  Some folks are still on 1.22 but they didn't
speak up when we voted to drop support for 1.22.  We should continue to
support 1.3 for now in the main trunk but its fine if there are optional
features like memory mapping.

My fear is that there will be features of OLE2CDF that powerpoint doesn't
use but Excel does.  If we replace POIFS, its not a move to be taken
lightly.  (For lack of confusion we should call it POIFS2 etc).. . But we're
jumping ahead.  We need:

1. A clear idea of what the difference is, process for backporting HSSF/HPSF
to it
2. Metrics proving that its faster/better (it should be theoretically)
3. A clear understanding of what it takes to make HSSF use techniques like
mmap etc.

-Andy