poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: POI to be known as Poi?
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2003 03:14:10 GMT

"Details baby, details" said the transvestite in "The Crying Game"  (my wife
made me watch it)

Ha!  I just deleted that explanation from the page.  That decision was made
a looong time ago...  Either is acceptable in "speech".  If you like
abbreviations then its an abbreviation.  (Marc liked having both.  I wanted
the abbreviation for marketing to the open source community that we weren't
propagating the file formats, Stefano claims to hate abbreviations)

For all sourcecode its POI.  I won't budge on this..  Why?  Because I don't
want to go through all the code and change it....  I want it to be
consistent... And I'd LIKE to think we have better things to do.

Additionally I like it all caps for another reason.  In portuguese and some
other languages "poi" is a word like "for" or "or" or something...  To see
this google on "poi" rather than "jakarta POI" and see what you get.
(google isn't case sensitive but other things are).

In any case.  Lets just de-emphasize what the abbreviations mean (if you
couldn't figure out that¹s what I'm trying to do).  This is the important
issue.

I really would prefer if we didn't have votes except on really important
stuff.  I think its totally fine if Tetsuya wants to put "Poi" in the docs
as the title.  Lets not sweat the details... :-)

-Andy