poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Top level project
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:29:04 GMT
After talking with someone about something I've been thinking about a top
level project....

formats.apache.org for file formats.

POI (and maybe TNEF) would be the first code base of course.  I want POI to
keep a tight focus that¹s what has let it succeed.  However, there is a need
for other formats.

There's of course some overlap with FOP, but I don't see that as a problem.
We're not XML-centric.  The idea would be to give us a platform for allowing
other folks to contribute other formats.

I can even see a general API emerging based on POI:

1. Archive -> abstract whether things are GZIPPED, ZIPPED or OLE2CDF'd
2. Workbook -> abstract whether things are Excel, Lotus, OpenOffice, etc
3. Document ...

However, I'd rather see these things take place At Apache but Outside of
POI.  Such that common APIs for similar file formats evolve.  XML interfaces
can be created for FOP/others wherever it makes sense to do so...

Thoughts?

-Andy
--
Andrew C. Oliver