poi-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Stampoultzis <gst...@iinet.net.au>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Changes to branch.
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:51:28 GMT
At 12:28 AM 3/07/2003, you wrote:
> > > I personally prefer tag/merge, primarily becoz it (almost) removes human
> > > frailty (people forgetting to compile at both places) from the chain...
> > > ie, its typesafe :)
> > >

> > No it doesn't.  It just changes it.  You might MERGE THE WHOLE THING over
> > the other..  Its more dangerous...
>
>Yeah, but i/we wont be doing it, only Glen :)

Ahh but it isn't as simple as that...  The problems are these:

1. Someone commits stuff to the head the realizes their mistake and commits
to the branch.  Now i'm faced with the problem of merging changes back
except for those particular changes.  Can't be done that I know
of.  Changes aren't atomic and CVS and I can't pick and choose which ones
to merge back.
2. Someone commits stuff to the branch that they don't want to go back into
the head.  Here I face the same problem as with 1.  I can't pick and choose
which changes to merge.

You see the problem?

BTW, does anyone know enough about subversion as to whether it lets you
pick and choose which commits to merge?  I believe bitkeeper allows this.

Regards,

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au