poi-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Nokleberg <ch...@sixlegs.com>
Subject Re: Reducing HSSF memory use
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:50:53 GMT
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:30:26AM -0700, Chris Nokleberg wrote:
> For even better performance and memory use, I would recommend moving
> away from the current sheet.getRow(i).getCell(j) model. That model
> forces a certain level of object creation which is not always
> necessary. Something like a JDBC ResultSet is more appropriate for
> managing large amounts of data, where you reuse the same object, and
> just the underlying values changes as you iterate. Example:

I was just browsing the archives and came across this message:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.poi.devel/4878

FWIW, this describes what I have in mind almost exactly. It is useful
even for modifying files, since the unmodified records don't have to be
read in. Essentially you would be using a ValueRecordsAggregate layer
for modified or newly created objects, and unchanged objects would be
left in the underlying source layer.

Chris