poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Ackley" <sack...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject questionable LGPL license interpretation
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:19:54 GMT

> DT:
> This sort of linking falls under section 6 of the LGPL.

Andy, I'm confused because section 6 is the section that states
"...distribute that work under terms of your choice, provided that the terms
permit modification of the work for the customer's own use and reverse
engineering for debugging such modifications"  I would interprete DT's
response as saying that we CAN link to LGPL code because the Apache license
fits this requirement. I haven't been able to find anywhere in section 6
that says we have to make something that links to LGPL use the LGPL license.

I am interested in hearing your reasons for interpreting section 6 this way.
It actually is the section that gives permission for linking to LGPL code
with NO restrictions except that you have to do one of the following

1)distribute the source of the Library if you distribute the Library.
2)Provide the ability to link to the library that already exists on the
users computer at runtime (java already handles this).
3)blah blah blah
4)blah blah ...

You get the point.