poi-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HDF status
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:06:40 GMT

http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/HBDOCS/hdf.html

> What's "HWPF"? ... acronym of "Horrible Word Processor Format"?

Yup.  Had I known POI stuff would be viable as a business model I'd have
taken naming a lot more seriously and come up with something more stodgy.
However there was equal pressure from the open source folks with Richard
Stallman running off at the mouth about how you should tell customers not to
send you word documents and the such!  (it is easy to see who has real
client and who has speaking engagements).  The open source community seemed
to have a consensus at the time that projects such as POI would propagate
these formats rather than open them and make creating proprietary formats
largely a fools errand.  In order to dispel that view, we needed to
disparage the formats openly while porting them.  This was easy to do since
the file formats are indeed very bad.

Now I just figure, its too late to change, best be consistent.  Even if it
makes your and my job a little bit harder as open source marketeers of
sorts.. ;-)  (oh god...did I just say that....I'm going to go wash my
fingertips off)

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi