poi-dev mailing list archives

From "A. Rothman" <amic...@amichais.net>
Subject POI TNEF Contribution
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:34:19 GMT
Hi!

I'm developing a Java implementation for MS-TNEF mail extraction. TNEF, even
though not based on the POIFS (it's a different format), does seem to belong
with the rest of the POI packages - it's an obscure MS format used by
Office's Outlook and Outlook Express and Exchange servers, for sending mail
whenever formatting (rich text) or MS-specific mail extensions (like voting
buttons) are added to a mail. The problem is, as with the other MS formats,
that the rest of the world can't read those mails - once TNEF is used, the
entire mail contents other than the basic headers, including all
attachments, are added into the TNEF file (usually named WINMAIL.DAT - run a
web search to see how much trouble this causes people...).

I've found several C/C++ utilities to extract the attachments (and other
contents) out of the TNEF file, but couldn't find any Java implementation.
So I decided to write one as an open source project
(http://www.freeutils.net/source/jtnef/), and I would like to contribute it
to the POI project, which seems like the perfect place for it, where it can
both grow and reach all those developers seeking a solution to yet another
MS conundrum...

Please let me know what you think. I hope this is the right forum for my
suggestion - if not, please accept my appologies and direct me to the right
one :)

Thanx!

Amichai