poi-dev mailing list archives

From "A. Rothman" <amic...@amichais.net>
Subject Re: POI TNEF Contribution
Date Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:35:25 GMT
1. Of course.

2. I'll do my best. However, I'll be happy to see others take a good look at
the code, which is pretty straightforward I think, and share their insight.
My hunch is that there may be some initial structural/high level API
changes, but once an initial release is made it won't require too much
maintenance - the TNEF format itself is pretty stale as far as I can tell,
and since it's based on 'transparent' encapsulation of MAPI properties it
will not require any modification with new MS-Office releases (new MAPI
props may be transported, but the interpretation of these props are up to
the implementation anyway - the JTNEF package simply provides access to
them).
The only other major issue I can think of is that it currently only supports
reading TNEF streams, not writing them. However it seems to me most Java
developers would only need to open received TNEF email messages (both client
and server side), while writing a Java email client that sends messages that
can be read only by MS products sounds a bit awkward.
But of course we'll give the people whatever they need :)

3.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/mapi/html/_mapi1book_transport_neutral_encapsulation_format_tnef_.asp
.
Some of the descriptions are a bit vague but working with real streams and
the C headers sorted it out.

4. Sure, though I may need a little help till I get the hang of it - I
haven't been active in any Apache project before.

Amichai